Header Ads

6 O LD WIVES TALES ABOUT BREASTFEEDING YOU MUST HAVE HEARD OR EXPERIENCED.

  When a new baby arrives, everyone, from families, friends, colleagues, everybody  comes around or visits. Each of them has a different opinion about any issue you may be having with your new born baby. Contradicting advise and opinion, that is why you really need to know and take these important 3 decisions before delivery  to avoid getting confused.

 Hot Breast ; spitting up or vomiting after breastfeeding; when I had my first child, after each breastfeeding,she spits up a lot almost half of what she took in. I got worried and disturbed, that she might not grow well because she is being underfed, or probably she is ill. Even after winding her and she belched, the spitting up continued. The next thing I heard was that my breast has hot milk and I should always pour cold water on my breast before breastfeeding. Hmm,I did it severally and my baby still spits up or vomits after breastfeeding so I stopped. I think with time as she grew, the spitting up stopped.

Bitter breast; Still on my first child breastfeeding. At a point it was as if my daughter would wean herself from breast milk. I was like forcing her to suck breast. Then I also heard my breast milk is probably bitter that's why she was rejecting it. So I was told to always drink sugary drinks and lots of water to make the breast milk sweet. OK, that was an interesting advise for me, as I took to juice as my drink to sweeten my breast. My mom-in law made sure I had a park of juice everyday till I left her. Some will come and say that the sweet drinks will give baby colic pain.

Stomach upset (colic pain); When my second child started having abdominal cramps which is a normal thing for babies, I was told that my breast milk was too cold for my baby. I should add enough pepper to my food to make the breast milk digest well and reduce his abdominal cramps.That was the biggest tale I ever heard.

LITTLE/NO MILK; My last baby almost weaned himself from  breast at 6months. then he would suck a little and start crying. A friends' mom-in law that came visiting said my  breast milk is dry and probably my baby finds it difficult to get something while sucking. She suggested hubby gets me palm wine to increase flow of milk, well I also took that advice. With time too, he stopped crying while sucking and we passed that stage.

Watery, greenish stool; I was told to stop eating anything sugary to stop the greenish stool while the watery stool is too much consumption of vegetables and my baby's stomach is not strong enough to accommodate it.

Farting; when your child fart too much, you will be told to make sure the whole nipple enters your baby's mouth while breastfeeding, that your baby probably sucks in air while breastfeeding and then farts too much to pass out the air. I enjoy the smell of their fart sha.

 JUST GIVE ALL YOUR CARES TIME AND THEY  WILL DISAPPEAR.

Anything that happens to a new born baby is the mothers fault, you will hear, eat this, eat that, don't eat this, don't eat that. Only one woman will do all of that. 

KUDOS TO ALL MOTHERS FOR THEIR SACRIFICES.

There was noting I didn't hear and wasn't told to do in the course of breastfeeding my kids, some funny, some interesting , some true, but to me they are all old wives tales.

What do you think? Are they true or old wives tales too? 

Did you hear or was told anything similar while nursing your child(ren)? Tell us more tales or facts in the comment box.

 I know some nursing mothers are in confusion right now about something they  heard or was told to do. Please drop your questions in the comment box or use the contact form to reach  us.

DON'T FORGET TO SHARE WITH YOUR FRIENDS AND SISTERS AND HEAR THEIR OWN TALES. 

TILL I COME YOUR WAY AGAIN...STAY HAPPY ALWAYS..

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Lol. Interesting experience though. But while breastfeeding, my mom and mom-in-law were all over me. They didn't give space to such advisers. Rather, I got such advice when one of my hubby's distant uncle to my own mom's house to some plumber in work, kos as a first timer I was more with my mom than my hubby's place. This particular man saw me drinking cold water(kos I alwayz craved for very cold water) so, he told me he was a father of seven, that he was talking from experience, that even if I'm damn hot, that I should alwayz drink hot water, so that baby will come out fast. That if I continue drinking cold water, that I might end up carrying the baby in my Tommy for close to 10months and even 11months.though, I deviated a little from the caption'breastfeeding'but the advise thing just made me remember my first experience with this man and cold water thing. My dear ooo, these so called advisers might end up putting one into trouble. Babies feeding habits differ. So, different strokes for different folks.atleast,experience is the best teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heard about that cold/hot water thing when I was pregnant but I still continued with my ice block chewing

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.